SolidSX - Software Explorer
The Software Explorer (SolidSX) is a standalone Windows application that gives insight in large software systems. SolidSX creates information-rich visualizations that show structure, metrics and dependencies between different types of source code elements (files, classes, methods, fields, etc.). By using hardware-accelerated graphics, SolidSX is able to display large amounts of information in a clear and concise manner and provides fast and easy exploration of large source codes.
Example use cases
- Get acquainted with new software systems quickly. Replace browsing hundreds of source files with a high-level visual overview.
- Predict the impact of code changes before you do them.
- Identify low-quality code areas that need refactoring.
- Detect unused source code elements.
SolidSX uses plug-ins to extract dependencies and metrics from different sources. Currently SolidSX can be delivered with three plug-ins:
- The .NET plug-in for analysis of Microsoft .NET assemblies (.exe,.dll, etc). All .NET programming languages are supported, including C#, Visual Basic, and Visual C++.
- The Java plug-in for analysis of Java source code.
- The BSC plug-in for analysis of C and C++ code compiled using Microsoft Visual Studio.
Download the free trial version (no code size limitation) and start exploring!
For best experience watch this fullscreen!
- Extracts and visualizes call graphs, class inheritance, type usage, field accesses and various code metrics, such as method complexity, lines of code, and number of casts (some plug-ins might not support all of these metrics).
- Plug-ins are available for analyzing software written in C#, Visual Basic, Java, C++ and C.
- The source code is not needed to analyze .NET assemblies, so SolidSX can also be used to inspect third-party assemblies (similar to .NET Reflector).
- Open input data format. Easy to integrate with third-party tools. SolidSX is not restricted to visualize sofware, but can also be used as a generic dependency viewer (see the User Manual for more information).
- Explore large databases of tens of thousands of elements in real time, from packages to individual variables.
- Store all settings of a view, such as its visualization parameters, filter settings, aggregation settings, etc. so that you can later reopen them later on the same or other datasets.
- Hardware-accelerated graphics for high quality presentation and smooth navigation.
- Extremely easy to use: point and click in a simple interface. Ready to use in less than 5 minutes (including installing).
LicensingSolidSX comes as a generic structure / dependencies / metrics visualization application, and can be specialized for a given programing language via importer plugins. These are available for .NET (all languages), Java and Visual C++ (BSC format only ). A 30-day evaluation version is also available, including all supported plugins. Please contact us for more detailed information on licensing SolidSX (e.g., acquiring individual plugins).
- Microsoft Windows (SolidSX has been tested under Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7)
- OpenGL 1.1 compatible graphics card
- 50 MB free disk space
- .NET framework for opening .NET assemblies (only needed for Windows XP computers that do not have the latest service packs installed)